Advice for tradespeople
As an essential service, electrical workers and gasfitters are currently exempt from government restrictions and permitted to carry out work, both domestically and commercially.
Protect yourself and others
If you are feeling unwell or displaying symptoms of coronavirus do not attend sites and seek medical advice. If you have tested positive to COVID-19, are in quarantine or self-isolation, you should not be working.
For further advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) visit www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus or call the Coronavirus hotline on 1800 675 398.
When attending a property
Before entering the premises, ask the occupier if anyone in their household:
- has tested positive for COVID-19
- is feeling unwell or has any cold or flu-like symptoms
- has been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19
- has travelled from overseas recently and is under quarantine orders, and/or
- anyone in the home is self-isolating.
Check the door for any public health notice. A public health notice is intended to alert individuals entering a premises of any health risk. The notice is fixed to the door by the Victorian Department of Health.
Prevent the spread of coronavirus
- Keep your distance: practise physical distancing – stay at least 1.5 metres away from your customer and when inside ensure there is 4 square metres per person. If necessary, ask your customer to move out of the room to allow you to carry out the work.
- Carry with you and use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with 60-80% alcohol content.
- Wash your hands often with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel or hand dryer.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or cough and sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Limit your interactions with people as much as possible
- Avoid touching surfaces such as benches and door handles with your bare hands.
Ensuring a gas installation is safe is a fundamental responsibility for all gasfitters licensed to perform gas servicing on Type A appliances.
ESV and the VBA have developed a Type A Gasfitters Toolkit, containing information specifically for gasfitters carrying out servicing of appliances as we head into the colder months.