Energy Safe Victoria
Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Registered Electrical Contractors (REC)

Energy Safe Victoria requires Registered Electrical Contractors (REC) to operate in a fair, ethical and compliant manner.

To be registered as an REC, applicants must possess the appropriate experience, technical and business knowledge and proven skills to undertake electrical installation work.

ESV requires that a person in the business of electrical contracting, or offering to contract, be registered as an electrical contractor. This is defined as a business, person or company employing electricians to carry out electrical installation work for profit.

Terms of registration

A registration may be issued or renewed subject to any conditions that ESV imposes, including a condition that a registration may apply to only one class of electrical work.

Unless suspended, cancelled or surrendered a registration may be renewed for a period of up to five years, commencing from the date of issue or renewal of the registration.

Types of REC registrations

ESV accepts applications for registration from three types of entities:

  • individuals
  • partnerships
  • companies.

For each registration type, both a technical and business supervisor must be in place, and the appropriate consent declarations and qualification requirements must be met.


An individual:

  • is an unincorporated business with one owner
  • registration covers a person working alone, who will also be the technical supervisor, and must therefore hold a current Victorian Electrician’s Licence (A Grade)
  • will either have undertaken the Registered Electrical Contractors Course through an electrical training provider or will engage an appropriate business supervisor, who will ensure the business is managed in a satisfactory manner
  • can hold a business name, if required.


In a partnership:

  • two or more persons or entities commence a business together as a Registered Electrical Contractor
  • one or more persons may be the technical supervisor and each must also hold a current Victorian Electrician’s Licence (A Grade)
  • at least one of the partners will have undertaken the Registered Electrical Contractors Course through an electrical training provider
  • or will have an appropriate business supervisor, who will ensure the business is managed in a satisfactory manner
  • can hold a business name, if required.


A corporation is a company or group of companies authorised to act as a single entity and seeking to register as an electrical contractor.

The business supervisor can be a senior financial or administrative officer within the organisation with appropriate business qualifications.

Where a company registration and a business name are required, only the company needs to be registered. If the company and business name are the same and they trade under a single ABN.

Family trusts

ESV does not register family trust entities. The trustee corporation acting on behalf of the family trust must be registered as the REC.

Requirements for registration

Business and Technical supervisors

Each registered electrical contractor must have a suitably qualified person to take responsibility for ensuring all electrical installation work is designed and executed in a professional and compliant manner.

It is a condition of registration that the electrical contracting business is effectively managed and administered by the business supervisor.

Read more on Business and Technical Supervisors and their responsibilities.

Public liability insurance

Registered electrical contractors must hold current public liability insurance (minimum cover of $5 million) against personal injury and/or damage to property in connection with the electrical contracting work of the applicant or their employees or agents.

ESV requires applicants to make an insurance declaration to acknowledge that the appropriate insurance requirements are understood and will be in place prior to carrying out electrical contracting work.

When establishing public liability insurance, applicants should ensure that the entity they wish to register as an electrical contractor is correctly insured with their insurance provider.

Roles in ESVConnect

Business Supervisor

Holds appropriate qualifications and is actively involved in the business.

Is required to be responsible for the business management and administration of the electrical contracting work, including but not limited to managing the renewal process. Maintaining the list of operators, Technical supervisors and Licensed Electrical Workers lists. Ensuring the communication details are up to date.

Technical Supervisor

  • Is required to be responsible for the effective supervision of the electrical installation work.
  • Maintains the list of REC operators and Licensed Electrical Worker (LEW) list.
  • Responsible for the management, purchase, draft, completion and distribution of COES.
  • Ensures the communication details are up to date.


  • Is nominated on a registered electrical contractors’ workers list and must accept the nomination prior to certification of work.
  • Can draft and save a Certificate of Compliance (COC).

REC Operator

  • Office administration staff, worker or apprentice that may be bound to the office for a variety of reasons.
  • Can draft and save a Certificate of Compliance (COC).
  • Selects an inspector for prescribed inspection.
  • Maintains the workers list.

Responsible person

  • Licensed Electrical Worker, REC operator and Tech Supervisor (as applicable) can distribute Certificate of Electrical Safety (COES) via mail or email.

Exemptions from registration

Registration as an electrical contractor is not required in the following circumstances:

  • a company employing licensed personnel to carry out electrical installation work only on the premises owned or occupied by the company
  • a person engaged in a contract and the part of the contract relating to electrical installation work is sub-contracted to a registered electrical contractor (sub-contracting arrangements)
  • a person who holds a Victorian electrician’s licence and undertakes to carry out electrical installation work from time to time for no financial return (no profit or gain)
  • a person who holds the appropriate Restricted Electrical Worker’s licence (Disconnect/Reconnect licence) and undertakes electrical work permitted under that licence (where electrical work is not the main occupation of the business), or
  • a person who holds an Occupier’s licence and undertakes electrical installation work permitted under that licence.

Contact Us

You can contact our licensing team in the following ways;

Monday, Thursday, Friday — 9:00am to 4:00pm
Tuesday — 12:30pm to 4:00pm
Wednesday — 9:00am to 12:30pm